July 8, 2020
- listen to our people of color
- have difficult, critical conversations
- create a space that is safe for Black students
- continue to educate all our students and employees about ways to create an equitable and just school and community.
- Highlighted Equity and Inclusion in Watkinson’s Strategic Plan (May 2016), committing to a plan for ongoing learning and reflection around diversity and equity that aimed at building a more inclusive community
- Established Equity and Social Justice Committee to ensure that this work isn’t held by the E&SJ Coordinator alone (2017)
- Initiated annual school-wide E&SJ Day comprised of student-led workshops and presentations (2018-2020)
- Hired a Director of Equity and Social Justice (2019-20)
- The Governance Committee of the Board of Trustees undertook training to understand and advance authentic diversity on our board. (November 2020)
- Concerted efforts toward broad diversification of Board of Trustees (ongoing)
- Held successful inter-school summit against anti-Black racism in response to critical incidents that now hopes to impact the HVAL and NEPSAC athletics organizations (September 2019-present)
- After George Floyd’s murder, held school-wide Community Discussion that happened the day before our commencement (June 2020)
These are our commitments and goals for the 2020-21 school year:
- Re-examine our disciplinary procedures and policies.
- Develop, communicate, and implement school policies and practices that affirm and protect underrepresented identities.
- Continue educational programming and professional development for Board members and school leadership so they can better integrate diverse, equitable, inclusive and antiracist principles into decision making and governance.
- Create a strategic plan for racial equity, in order to combat anti-Blackness and white supremacy, change power dynamics, minimize microaggressions, and eliminate macroaggressions.
- Adopt an antiracism statement in addition to a nondiscrimination and diversity statement as part of the larger racial equity strategic plan.
- Promote empathy and understanding by developing programs, practices and systems to help community members understand the complex interdependence of racism, privilege, and economic systems of oppression in the ongoing history of our institutions.
- Hold all community stakeholders accountable for diversity, equity, and inclusion growth and performance within employee and program evaluation systems.
- Collaboration among and between school leadership and the Equity and Social Justice Committee in order to identify inequities across campus and determine a pathway for our work going forward.
Head of School
President, Board of Trustees