Interested in the latest jobs and opportunities available at Watkinson? You’ve come to the right place. For more information please follow the links in the descriptions below.
Watkinson School, offering inventive learning to Hartford and surrounding communities since 1881, seeks a Director of Development to advance the mission of the school: to develop in our students the power to shape their lives and the world around them.
The successful candidate, working in partnership with and reporting to the Head of School, will help forge new relationships to build Watkinson’s visibility, impact, and financial resources that will translate directly and indirectly to the continued success and sustainability of the school. This role is responsible for executing a development plan that includes the successful attainment of the school’s Annual Fund goals; the cultivation, stewardship and solicitation of major donors; and the planning, management, and execution of major fundraising events.
The Director of Development will be a key member of the school’s Advancement team, working closely with the Director of Admissions, Director of Communication and Strategic Initiatives, Chief Financial and Operations Officer (CFOO), the Board President and Trustees, development staff, and volunteers as part of a committed and collaborative team who advance the School financially and otherwise.
- Collaborate with the Head of School and the CFOO to develop and implement Watkinson’s financial strategy.
- Actively work with the Head of School and other senior leaders to develop and implement a comprehensive development strategy to include individual gifts, corporate gifts, foundation gifts, government grants, etc. to build revenue streams for the immediate and long-term sustainability of Watkinson School.
- Implement stewardship programs aimed at cultivating deeper ties with donors.
- Cultivate relationships and secure financial support for the School’s annual fund, endowment, and scholarship programs.
- Oversee the development, planning, and execution of the School’s major fundraising and special events.
- Design, develop, and implement new and/or enhanced development programs and projects that help the School to achieve its strategic goals.
- Manage the School’s Development staff.
- 10-plus years of professional experience in a nonprofit organization.
- Demonstrated success in a development leadership role, with a proven track record of securing five and/or six+ figure gifts.
- Tangible experience having cultivated and expanded existing donor relationships over time.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral; ability to influence and engage a wide range of donors and build long-term relationships.
- Strong organizational and time management skills with exceptional attention to detail.
- A flexible and creative leader, who can positively impact both strategic and tactical fundraising initiatives.
- Ability to work independently without close oversight and as a team player who productively engages with others at varying levels of seniority within and outside Watkinson School.
- Bachelor’s degree required, master’s preferred.
- Ability to construct, articulate, and implement an annual strategic development plan.
- Knowledge and confidence in data management, including knowledge of processes and procedures for the management of all types and designations of giving.
- Outstanding communication skills with an energetic, positive approach to work.
- Central belief in the importance of excellence in education and in Watkinson’s mission and programs.
Qualified candidates are encouraged to send a letter of interest, resume, and a minimum of three references to:
Compensation includes competitive salary and great benefits.
We will be reviewing applications on a rolling basis. Qualified candidates are encouraged to apply promptly.
Watkinson School is an equal opportunity employer and an open and affirming community. We seek candidates of diverse backgrounds.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Watkinson is committed to providing a work environment that is free from all forms of unlawful discrimination. It is and will continue to be the policy of the school that all persons shall have equal employment and advancement opportunities based on merit, qualifications, demonstrated skills and abilities. Employment practices and decisions will be made without regard to race, color, age, religion, sex, pregnancy, disability, national origin, ancestry, marital status, sexual orientation, status as a veteran, or any other characteristic or status which cannot lawfully be considered under local, state, or federal law as a basis for employment-related decisions. Watkinson expects all employees to act in accordance with these principles and to reflect their spirit in all relationships with each other and with customers, with vendors and with other business associates or contacts. This policy applies to every aspect of employment including, but not limited to, recruitment, screening, application, hiring, training, assignment, development, evaluation, promotion, transfer, rates of pay, benefits, discipline, termination and layoff.
Further, it is Watkinson’s policy that all vendors, suppliers, contractors and others doing business with the school adhere to these principles. Any employee who feels that he or she has not been treated in accordance with the policies and principles stated herein may bring the matter to the attention of his/her immediate supervisor, the Director of Finance or the Head of School.
Watkinson is committed to the employment of qualified individuals with a disability who with or without reasonable accommodation, can perform the essential functions of the job the individual seeks, wants to hold or holds. Employees with a disability who need or believe they need a reasonable accommodation are encouraged to review the matter with the Director of Finance. Supervisors and managers may be informed regarding necessary restrictions on the work or duties of the employee and reasonable accommodations to be made.